Despite difficult weather conditions, frost in April and dryness in summer, 2021 was a very good vintage, with minor losses in volume.
No one will soon forget the night of April 8th to April 9th, 2021, when the arctic current directed cold air to the south of Italy. Both flowers and the delicate leaves of the vines suffered badly. We were lucky; most of our vineyards only suffered minor damage because they are relatively protected. However, on the Sangiovese vineyard, some vines had significant frost damage.
The great heat in summer with temperatures several times over 40 degrees Celsius was of course fantastic for the ripening of the grapes - but we missed the rainy thunderstorms. But the proximity to the sea allowed our grapes to survive the stress well.
The 2021 vintage promises to be an excellent one!
Now the wine events and international wine fairs are finally starting again this year after two years of “wine fair lockdown” during the Covid pandemic.
For the first time we are now present with our organically certified wines! Of course, we only deliver white and rosé from 2021, i.e. GIOIA 2021 and LUNA 2021:
- On March 25th, 2022 at the Anteprime di Firenze. In a master class, our highest quality wine Loto 2012 was put to the test alongside other Supertuscans.
- Then we continue with the Summa in South Tyrol (Magreid) on April 9th. and April 10th, where the best winemakers from all over the world come together, with over 100 participants! What is exceptional here is the family setting, the professional, warm atmosphere at the organizer Alois Lageder's winery - and the great winemakers are all there in person! We are now there for the third time with our five wines.
- At the end of April we will take part in the local wine fair in Lucca “Anteprima Vini” - again with our new wines. Here we compete with over 20 other Lucchesia winemakers.
- The highlight for us this year is Prowein in mid-May from May 15th - 17th, the world's most important and largest wine trade fair with over 5,500 exhibitors. We are allowed to present at the gourmet stand with a few selected European winemakers. Being able to serve high-quality wines at this popular place is a privilege!
- And we can note another special day in the wine calendar: On May 30th we were nominated to take part in the FOCUS Wine Award. At the Mack family in Europa-Park Rust, our wines are tasted... and evaluated in the master class. This master class is led by none other than the world champion sommelier and head sommelier at the “Baur au Lac” Zurich MARC ALMERT.
Keep your fingers crossed for us – and until then enjoy all our wines!
We have already received a fantastic award!
Our 2021 olive oil was awarded the highest rating by BIBENDA, the Foundation of Italian Sommeliers: FIVE drops! Your team Villa Santo Stefano